With social media seemingly taking over the world, you might think that newspapers are diminishing in importance. However, when it comes to business the opposite is true. Having your company showcased in local or national publications can have a significant boost to your business. Therefore, having the ability to write a stand-out press release is vitally important. Here are some key tips for success:
- Is what you want to say newsworthy? If the story would not appeal to you as a reader, then the chances are that it won’t interest anybody else either. Key news topics include new contract wins, new appointments, charity events, birthday celebrations and award wins.
- Grab the reader’s attention with the headline and opening paragraph, otherwise your press release is going straight in the bin. Summarise what you are writing but don’t tell the readers too much or they won’t want to read any more.
- You have a maximum of 500 words to say what you need to, so keep it short and sweet. To make sure you have covered the key points go through the questions: Who? What? Where? When? Why? How?
- Always include a quote. Make sure the quote is from a relevant person and that it adds value to what you have written.
- Finish off your press release using the industry norm -Ends- followed by the notes for the editor. Your notes should include your contact details and links to the company/ person’s social media accounts and website. The notes should also include any background information on the company/ person that you feel would be useful to share.
Finally, make sure your press release is seen! Your target may be journalists but bloggers and online publications can also be useful and don’t forget to use it on your website blog or news page and for your own social media content. The more your news is shared the bigger the benefit you will receive.
Need a professional to help write a press release? Contact me at email@example.com to discuss.